Renter’s Insurance

Home / The Residential Experience at F&M / Renter’s Insurance

Protect Your Personal Property

Ƶ & Marshall College does not cover the cost of your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged. Students are expected — and in some cases required — to obtain renters insurance before moving in to protect their personal items. Renter’s insurance is strongly encouraged for students living on campus and is required for students living in apartments.

GradGuard Renter’s Insurance

We have partnered with GradGuard to offer a renter's insurance program that has protected over 1 million students nationwide. GradGuard renter's insurance is underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company. Claims and coverages are subject to language, limits and exclusions, and policy. 

GradGuard renter’s insurance features include:  

  • Low $100.00 deductible compared to $500 or $1000 for a typical homeowner’s insurance policy
  • Replacement Cost: If your personal property is stolen or damaged due to a covered peril, it can be replaced with an item of like kind and quality.
  • Worldwide Coverage: Your personal belongings are protected even when you are away from campus, traveling or studying abroad. Personal property is protected while away but the liability coverages do not apply.
  • Electronics Coverage: Your electronics, including your TV, laptop, smartphone, and tablet are covered up to the policy limits.
  • Personal Liability Coverage: If you cause damage to college property or injure others, you may be liable for the damages. Renters insurance from GradGuard provides up to $300,000 in personal liability coverage.

Students may also carry a personal property renter’s insurance policy from an independent insurance carrier of their choice.